Dr. Feng Gao is the Co-Founder and Executive Director of Open Data China. He is an activitist, researcher and practitioner promoting and builiding an open digital future. His works cover data governance, digital rights, open innovation, open culture, and entreprenership.
Dr. Feng Gao is the Co-Founder and Executive Director of Open Data China, the first civic group and social enterprise in China promoting and builiding an open digital future. Under Feng’s leadership, Open Data China actively advises governments and other data holders on how to build an open and transparent data agenda. Open Data China also sets up a community for wider public to make their voices heard in the process of digital governance and build up their capacity in utilizing data and protecting own digital rights.
In 2015, Open Data China co-launched Shanghai Open Data Apps (SODA), a competition-based open data innovation model. During 2015-2018, Feng led the daily operation of SODA and its sister programs in Chongqing, Shenyang, and other cities in China. The SODA model unlocks more than 60 datasets from 30 government agencies and private companies, generates nearly 1000 prototypes and applications, and cultivates several startups with over 100 million CNY investments.
Feng’s publications and talks on data governance and digital rights were featured in Paris Innovation Review, Financial Times China, and Southern Metropolis Daily. He was recognized by International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP), Yale World Fellowship, StudyUK Alumni Award and Yicai DTimes Data Scietist 50.
He was a Open Data Insitute Research Fellow, and a LSE Chevening Fellow. He holds a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Southampton, UK, and a BE in Computer Science from Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications.
Interviews About Me
- 一起英国谋杀案，成为中国数据开放的起点 , 第一财经 DT财经, 2018
- 开放数据推动者高丰:期待数据开放更好, 澎湃新闻, 2016
Affiliations and Social Services
- Research Fellow, Digital and Mobile Governance Lab at Fudan University
- Open Data Advisor, Shanghai Baiyulan Open AI Institute
- Board Member, Shanghai Association of AI and Social Development
- Board Member, Open Supply Hub
Awards and Recognitions
- StudyUK Alumni Award (China) - Professional Achievement Award, 2019
- Yale World Fellowship, 2019
- Yicai DTimes Data Scientist 50, 2019
Academic Visiting and Fellowship
- Research Fellowship, Open Data Institute, 2021-2022
- Chevening LSE Fellowship, London School of Ecnomics, 2023
- Ph.D in Computer Science (Human Computer Interaction), University of Southampotn, UK
- BE in Computer Science, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, China.